We spent one night at Luna Capsule before heading to Mabul island.
In terms of rooms:
Two of us went for the double room and the other two originally had booked the dorm. Upon arrival we noted the following things;
- the dorm is near the reception and is a really small room. It's like a small room with on both sides bunk beds. Only plus I could mention is the fact that the bunk beds got a curtain each. Furthermore, the dorm is really close to the reception. If you want to have a decent night of sleep this is obviously not the best option. For this reason, the two persons we travelled with changed their booking to a double room.
- the double rooms felt like hotel rooms: clean, decent bed, brand new ac, and a modern bathroom with rain shower. During the day, construction work was going on, making us believe that the top floor was recently renovated. The construction work did not commence extremely early and stopped before 6pm, meaning that you will not suffer from noise issues.
What is good to know is that the double rooms are located on the top floor. The reception with the dorm is located on ground floor. The staircase to the top floor however does not start at the reception ground floor. Instead, you have to walk around the corner, pass a gate, go up, scan your room pass, and enter the top floor. In other words, to get from and to the reception, one has to go outside. In general this was fine. You however do not want to to this at night; Semporna really is not the richest, cleanest and therefore safest of places.
In terms of the rest:
- Reception staff is not overly accommodating or friendly. However, if you e.g. have a request to make use of their laptop to transfer photos from a SD card, they will not refuse.
- Breakfast is a joke. Just go around the corner and have breakfast at a public space.
- Location wise, Luna Capsule is located about 1km from the Semporna jetty. During the day you can walk this. As already mentioned before, Semporna is not the cleanest and does not feel like the safest place on earth. Therefore, during night time I would take a Grab back to the hotel.
- Price of what you get is fine. It's not as cheap compared to the rest of Borneo, but this seems to hold for all the accommodations in Semporna. If you want to have a clean, modern and relatively safe place to sleep, e.g. for a few nights, Luna Capsule is fine.
- If you want to have dinner at an OK place on walking distance (almost same block) from Luna Capsule, I would recommend Summer breeze cafe.